Pages

Thursday 9 January 2014

Why won't my body give me a damn break?!

I have no idea what I did in a past life but it must have been pretty bad as my luck is not on my side with this illness.

I recently had a PET test and adequacy test which measures how your dialysis is going and whether you are getting the right amount of dialysis. My results showed that I wasn't getting enough dialysis and that's why I was feeling pretty rubbish.

Slowly but surely the community nurses have been introducing bigger volumes of dialysis fluid and longer dwell times into my treatment regime. I know for someone who knows nothing about dialysis that this probably is going way over your heads so let me try and re word it.

I started off having 1500 mls (1.5 litres) of fluid in and then that fluid will sit in my periteneum cavity. It will dwell in there for a certain period of time and then be drained out. During the dwell time, toxins are absorbed into the fluid and then are drained out after the dwell time. That's one cycle... I usually have 5 cycles per treatment.

They decided to increase my dialysis to 2000 mls (2 litres) with longer dwell times. However having 2 litres in your body whilst lying down is pretty uncomfortable. I look like I'm pregnant, very bloated and I struggle to even cough or sneeze. Also when lying down the fluid disperses across your torso and pushes up into your lung cavity. Everything is being pushed out of the way by this fluid and sometimes it makes me feel sick with indigestion because it's pushing my food up.

I complained about the volume and how uncomfortable I was feeling with it. It felt like it was stretching near my bladder area and my bellybutton looked odd and not right. However I was told I would "get used to it over time." 


My nurse also suggested that I have a daytime fill of fluid so in effect I would be dialysizing for 24 hours a day. She wanted me to put 1500 mls in and then just leave it all day until I went on the machine at night and that would hopefully get off more toxins therefore giving me better adequacy of dialysis.


The first day I did this daytime dwell (2 days a go) I felt full and uncomfortable but did my best to ignore it. It also happened to be my boyfriend's birthday on that day so I didn't want to be moaning on his birthday. It got to about 8pm and then one of my friends and my boyfriend noticed my stomach looked odd.

There was this odd protruding swelling right under my belly button and over the incision scar from where I had my dialysis catheter fitted. Also the swelling round this area was discoloured and much paler than the rest of my skin. It looked freaky and bizarre and like some kind of alien baby pushing out of me.



As you can see in the photos... My stomach is bloated and full and then there is the odd protruding swelling which is discoloured. It was tender to touch and I had no idea what it was. I thought dialysis fluid was leaking out of me. In which case this is very bad and requires hospital treatment!

Cue the trip to A&E on the night of my boyfriend's birthday - not really what I had in mind, however it needed to be sorted and checked. 

Turns out I have a hernia. An incisional hernia. The incision in which was made to fit my dialysis catheter had torn apart and that was my stomach being pushed out by all the dialysis fluid. If I wasn't on peritoneal dialysis then I could just leave it and ignore it. It'll probably heal on it own. However because I am on dialysis and I need big volumes of fluid inside me, I need to get it fixed. The only solution to the problem is surgery. Incisional Hernia

This petrifies me as last time I had surgery around this area it was like going to hell and back. The complications, the pain and recovery were all a nightmare for me and something I don't wish to go through again. :( It makes me sick thinking about it. 

Also my doctor said that he would also move the catheter into a better position for more comfort. However this involves messing about with something that is already fragile and a sore point so I'm guessing it's going to be painful like last time. 

Everything in kidney failure has some kind of domino effect on everything else and this hernia... which has been caused by too much volumes which were increased to give me better dialysis is now going to affect the dialysis treatment as a whole. 

I now can't have as much dialysis as I wanted and I can't have the daytime fill/dwell meaning I won't be getting enough dialysis and I will start to feel rubbish again. I have been warned to expect to feel this way and that my bloods will be all over the place with toxins etc. Also the muscles in my stomach area are very sore and I can't even go to the toilet properly... So constipation has set in and that's painful in itself, never mind everything else!

I really don't want to feel that ill again. I would love to just feel normal for once and feel comfortable in my own body without all the hassle and little things that bug me. :( 

So, the next few weeks are probably going to be pretty rubbish. I guess you can never prepare for how shit you actually feel, even if you know it's coming. 

Here's to hoping my body actually gives me a break soon and I get SOME good news! 

1 comment: